The HackFestSG 2016 (the "Competition") aims to bring together developer focused and business focused students to form teams to build a prototype app, website, smart device, service or a piece of software to solve a business problem.
The Competition is organized by NUS Enterprise of National University of Singapore ("Organiser") and sponsored by Proctor & Gamble (S) Pte Ltd and Microsoft (S) Pte Ltd ("Sponsor(s)").
Who will be eligible?
IF YOU ARE STUDYING OR WORKING IN SINGAPORE, AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE AND HAVE AN IDEA, YOU CAN TAKE PART.
How can I participate?
- You may choose to compete as an individual or a team. You are only permitted to join one team. Each team shall comprise of at least three (3) members.
- Regardless of whether you compete as an individual or in a team, each participant must individually register his/her participation in the Competition and complete and submit all the required forms before the registration closing date and time and before the registration reaches the Competition’s capacity.
- You must register by 9th September 2016 and appear in person and onsite at the Competition Venue and on the Competition Dates (as stated in Clause 9.1 of the Other Terms and Conditions hereunder) or you may not be allowed to participate in the Competition.
- Provide your Submission(s) (as defined in Clause 3.2 of the Other Terms and Conditions hereunder) by 9th September 2016.
What are the rules and regulations?
- Each participant or team may make more than one Submission.
- All Submission(s) must be new and original work. Any form of plagiarism or copying is not allowed.
- By registering for this Competition:
- you consent to collection, use and disclosure of your personal data by Organiser for the purposes of the Competition and this Participation Agreement, and to the extent permitted under the Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
- you should ensure that all personal data submitted to us is complete, accurate, true and correct. Any inaccurate, incomplete or false information given or any omission of information required, may at Organiser’s discretion, render your entry invalid.
- you may be filmed or photographed while participating in the Competition and Organiser may collect your photographs, audio-visual footage, comments, and any other record of your participation in the Competition.
- you shall be deemed to have acknowledged and accepted all the terms and conditions (including the Other Terms and Conditions and the P&G Terms) of this Participation Agreement.
The following "Other Terms and Conditions" also apply to the Competition and shall form integral part of this Participation Agreement. In addition, if your Submission is specific to solve a business problem or exploit a business opportunity posted by one of the Sponsors – Procter and Gamble (S) Pte Ltd, the terms and conditions stated in Appendix I ("P&G Terms") shall apply.
If you disagree with any of the terms and conditions (including the Other Terms and Conditions and the P&G Terms) of this Participation Agreement, please do not register for or participate in the Competition.
OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following "Other Terms and Conditions" form part of the terms and conditions applicable to the Competition.
- SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Participants must create a working software application or hardware (hereinafter referred to as "Application") for submission.
- Participants must provide the following materials in English as part of the Submission (as defined below):
- The Application (including its source codes) and all installation files, data (if any), and access (e.g. access credentials, web address) required for the Application to function successfully; and
- A set of presentation slides, describing the main features, functionalities and benefits of the Application.
- If the Application requires any additional third party software to function, participants must provide Organiser and Sponsors with access to and use of such additional software at no cost to Organiser and Sponsors.
- Participants may use Application Program Interface ("API") that have been provided for the Competition, and/or APIs, libraries, software development kits ("SDK") and other tools that have been made available and authorized for public use, to create or develop the Application. Participants may use APIs and data to the extent that participants have been, authorized to use them.
- Participants may submit an Application that includes the use of open source software, provided that (a) the participants comply with applicable open source licenses and (b) that the applicable open source license terms will not require the release, disclosure or distribution of any part of the Application or Submission back to the open source community or to any third party under any circumstances.
- You shall ensure that all Submissions must: (a) be original work and not be owned by or subject to any other person or entity having any right or interest in it; and (b) not violate any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights including but not limited to contract, copyright, patent, trademark, and/or privacy rights, of any other person or entity.
- All Submissions must be new. Any work that has been submitted for other competitions (whether in Singapore or overseas) or has been used for commercial purposes and/or has been published in any media will not be accepted.
- The Application must not have been developed, or derived from any software developed, with any support or contract from Organiser or any Sponsor. Organiser may in its sole discretion disqualify an Application, if in Organiser’s opinion, awarding a Prize for that Application may create any conflict of interest.
- Participants shall not make available or disclose any Application or Submission to the public.
- Organiser reserves the right to disqualify any participant, team and/or Submission who/which (a) does not meet any of the terms and conditions of this Participation Agreement, including but not limited to Submissions containing inaccurate, invalid or misleading information, (b) is dishonest or tampers with the operation of the Competition, or otherwise acts in a disruptive or inappropriate manner; or (c) engages in conduct that is unlawful, offensive, or otherwise leads Organiser to conclude, in its sole discretion, that public association with the participant could cause controversy or embarrassment to Organiser or Sponsors.
- Participants must not communicate with or attempt to influence the Judging Panel (as defined in Clause 6 hereunder). Failure to adhere to this rule may result in disqualification of the relevant participant and/or team.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- For the purposes of this Clause 3 and this Participation Agreement, "Intellectual Property Rights" includes in Singapore and throughout the world and for the duration of the rights (a) any patents, utility models, copyrights (including future copyright), registered or unregistered trademarks or service marks, trade names, brand names, layout-design rights, registered designs and commercial names and designations; (b) any invention, discovery, trade secret, know how, or confidential, business, scientific, technical or product information; (c) any other rights resulting from intellectual activity in the commercial, industrial, scientific, literary and artistic fields and whether dealing with manufactured products or services; and (d) any letters patent, deed of grant, certificate or document of title for anything referred to in paragraphs (a), (b) or (c) of this definition.
- All materials including software, source code, documentation, data, concepts and ideas (whether created or developed independently by a participant or jointly with others) submitted for this Competition ("Submission(s)") shall be the property of the participants. Notwithstanding the foregoing, each participant acknowledges and agrees that any ideas or concepts related to the Submission are not confidential or proprietary, and Oganiser and/or Sponsors may use, incorporate or disclose any Submission in accordance with this Participation Agreement.
- By making a Submission, each participant acknowledges and agrees that Organiser may obtain many submissions in connection with this Competition and/or other marketing initiatives or challenges staged and/or offered by Organiser ("Submitted Ideas"), and that such submission may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to other Submitted Ideas or other materials developed by Organiser or any Sponsor. Unless prohibited by law, each participant waives any and all claims against Organiser and any Sponsor and/or any other participants/teams of the Competition that any submission and/or other works (including videos) accepted, reviewed and/or used by Organiser and any Sponsor or other participants may be similar to his/her submission, or that any compensation is due to such participant in connection with such submission or other works.
- RIGHT OF USAGE AND PUBLICITY
- By entering the Competition, participants agree to participate at their own expense, in any media, promotional activity or publicity related to the Competition in Singapore without payment or compensation, if requested to do so by Organiser or any Sponsor.
- Participants acknowledge and agree that Organiser and Sponsors may display publicly, archive and reproduce any Submissions for broadcast, marketing, publicity and promotional purposes without any payment to the participants or the participants’ consent. This includes, but is not limited to, posting or linking to the Submission on the Organiser or any Sponsor’s website as well as proprietary social media channels and website, and display and promotion of any Submission in any other media worldwide.
- Participants are not granted the permission to use or display any of Organiser and/or Sponsors’ name and trademarks (e.g. logo) or rights in any form. Participants agree to seek the prior written consent of the Organiser or Sponsor, as relevant, prior to promoting or publicizing their participation or activities related to the Competition.
- Organiser or Sponsor may disclose Confidential Information to participants for the purposes of or in connection with this Competition ("Disclosing Party").
- "Confidential Information" shall include but is not limited to information, personal data, knowledge and data, which is not in the public domain and in which Disclosing Party has a business, proprietary or ownership interest or has a legal duty to protect, which is identified by Disclosing Party as confidential and/or any information which a reasonable third party acting in good faith would recognise as being confidential in nature.
- Each participant agrees to use the Confidential Information only for the purposes of Submissions for this Competition.
- The participant further agrees to keep the Confidential Information in strictest confidence and shall not, directly or indirectly, use for itself or on behalf of or disclose to any third party any Confidential Information received from Disclosing Party.
- Once Submission is submitted, each participant shall stop using the Confidential Information and shall return or destroy all of the Confidential Information to Disclosing Party, if so requested by Disclosing Party, including all copies or reproductions, extracts, summaries or notes in accordance with the directions of Disclosing Party and certify the same have been destroyed, if so required by Disclosing Party.
- JUDGING AND PRIZE
- Eligible Submissions will be evaluated by one or more panels of judges selected by Organiser (herein referred to as "Judging Panel"). The Judging Panel may be employees of Organiser or external, and may change before or during the judging period. Judging may take place in one or more rounds with one or more panels of judges, and the manner of judging shall be at the sole discretion of the Judging Panel.
- The Judging Panel will score eligible Submissions using the following criteria (herein referred to as "Judging Criteria"): (a) Innovation; (b) Technical Competency; (c) Business Value; (d) User Experience; and (e) Presentation. These criteria may change at the sole discretion of Judging Panel.
- Eligible participants whose Submissions earned the top three (3) overall scores based on the applicable Judging Criteria may be awarded a prize for each such Submission ("Prize") on the last day of the Competition. In the event of a tie, the Judging Panel will deliberate to determine the winner. If participants compete in a team, each team is only eligible for one Prize.
- EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY
- While reasonable care will be taken of the Submissions provided to Organiser, Organiser assumes no responsibility for any loss of or damage to the Submissions or any Applications before, during, and/or after the Competition.
- Organiser shall have no liability in connection with:
- Any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Organiser’s electronic or printing error, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition;
- Technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, internet connectivity or electronic transmission errors, or network hardware or software or failure of the Competition’s website;
- Unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Competition;
- Technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Competition or the processing of Submissions; or
- Any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Competition or receipt or use or misuse of any Prize.
- Organiser is not responsible for corrupted, incomplete, late, misdirected, damaged, lost, illegible, or incomprehensible Submissions. Proof of sending or submitting shall not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Organiser.
- If for any reason any Submission is determined to have not been received or been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, the participant’s sole remedy is to request the opportunity to resubmit the Submission. Such request must be made promptly after the participant knows or should have known there was a problem, and will be subject to the decision of Organiser in its sole discretion.
- In addition, to the maximum extent permitted by law, participants expressly release Organiser, Sponsor, the Prize suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Competition, and all of their respective past and present agents, officers, directors, employees and representatives, from and against any and all claims that the participant may have based on contract, tort, negligence or any other cause of action arising out of or in connection with: (a) the production, distribution, broadcast or exhibition of the participant’s name, photograph, auto-visual footage, voice or other personal data; (b) the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation and/or use of Submissions or any part thereof, or any combination of the foregoing, including, without limitation, any claims of invasion of privacy, defamation, or violation of any Intellectual Property Rights; or (c) creation, submission or entry of a Submission, participation in the Competition, acceptance or use or misuse of the Prize (including any travel or activity related thereto).
- Each participant shall be fully responsible for all actions, proceedings, claims, damages, liabilities, settlement sums, charges, losses, costs and expenses (including without limitation, legal costs and expenses and costs of other professionals and any penalties or other amounts levied, imposed or charged by any regulator or regulatory authority) arising out of or in connection with: (a) any claim or action by any third party for actual or alleged infringement of Intellectual Property Rights in connection with the Assigned Rights or any Submissions; and/or (b) any breach or violation of any Applicable laws by the participants or any Submission.
- GENERAL TERMS
- Participants acknowledge and agree fully and unconditionally to the Terms and Conditions, and other instructions related to the Competition, as well as to Organiser’s and/or the Judging Panel's decisions regarding the Competition, which are final and binding.
- Except where prohibited, participants agree that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Competition or any Prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court inSingapore. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of any terms and conditions of this Participation Agreement, rights and obligations of participants, Organiser and Sponsors, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Singapore, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Singapore or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Singapore.
- Organiser or any Sponsor’s failure to enforce any provision of this Participation Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such provision.
- Entry to the Competition is personal to the participant. No other person has any right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act (Cap 53B) to enforce the participant's rights under the Terms and Conditions or enjoy any benefit of any Prize.
- GENERAL BEHAVIOUR AND CONDUCT
- The Competition will be held at The Hangar at the address 21 Heng Mui Keng Terrace Level 1, Singapore 119613 ("Venue") on the dates 9 – 11 September 2016 ("Dates"). You may leave and return to the Venue at any time during the Competition. However, by participating in the Competition, you agree that you will:
- always behave in a professional manner, and treat all persons participating in the Competition with respect and dignity. In particular, you should not use any foul or abusive language which may cause offence to anyone or engage in any conduct which is unlawful or poses risks to anyone’s health and safety.
- not engage in any behavior which is inappropriate (e.g. you must not make any unwelcome sexual advances to participants), or any other form of harassment. You must not make any racist, sexist, or ageist remarks or other statements which may cause offence to anyone or make anyone feel uncomfortable.
- Meals will be provided during the Competition. You must be responsible in the consumption of alcohol and must not drink excessively and shall be solely responsible for any loss, damage or misconduct (whether criminal or otherwise) caused by you due to intoxication.
- Organiser will not in any way be liable for any loss, damage, claim or expense relating to or resulting from any bodily injury or death of any person, or any damage to or loss of any real and/or tangible property caused by your negligent or willful acts or omissions.
Each Participant whose Submissions is specific to solve a business problem or exploit a business opportunity posted by Proctor & Gamble (S) Pte Ltd ("P&G") for HackFestSG 2016 competition, agrees to comply with the following terms and conditions which shall additionally apply:
- Each participant hereby agrees to grant P&G the right of first refusal to license or purchase his/her Submission, including all Intellectual Property Rights subsisting in such Submission ("Submission IPR") on terms and condition to be agreed in writing between the participant and P&G, such right granted to P&G shall expire within three (3) months from 11th September 2016.
- If P&G license or purchase the Submission IPR in accordance with paragraph 1 above, the relevant participant warrants that (a) he/she has created the Submission, (b) no third party has any right, title and/or interest in/or to the Submission IPR and (c) the use or exploitation by P&G of the Submission IPR will not infringe the Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party. Participant must take all necessary steps to license to P&G the Submission IPR and all tangible materials bearing, comprising, based on and/or derived from the Submission IPR . At the request of P&G, the participant shall provide P&G and/or any other entity in the P&G with all necessary assistance for P&G to maintain and/or enforce the Submission IPR or any part thereof. The participant shall not challenge the right of P&G to use the Submission IPR.